Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cook Like Jackie Q&A - Vitamix

Cook Like Jackie loves to receive reader questions! Thanks to Shayna from Atlanta for the following question:


Q: I read your articles about kitchen gadgets and things and was wondering what you thought about the Vitamix? Your post about Costco led me to ask you as it is one of the few places here where it can be purchased. Ever heard of it? If so, thoughts?


A: I too have seen the the Vitamix demonstrated at Costco and its claims that it can do so many things in one machine are impressive. The company has a long, storied history of innovation and for the right person it is a great product. However, after looking at the price tag and my lifestyle, I have passed on it for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that after so many years of demonstrating products I realize that most small electrics usually do one or two things well, so general skepticism creeps in because I do not believe that there are truly one size fits all machines. Secondly, knowing that I am a person who loves the next best thing, being wedded to a $650 machine like this is not something I am inclined to do. Third, style is important to me, I want all of the gadgets that I buy to have a common theme or thread, to look contemporary and to essentially bring artwork into my kitchen. Finally, I am very stringent about not doing too many things with the same machine. I don't want to mix ice cream in the same machine I use to make salsa for example. Your question led me to share with you and other readers some of the rules of thumb that I use as a guide for selecting products that suit me:


Determine what you like to eat versus what you like to cook. Most people know what foods and dishes they like to eat, but asking them to prepare something is totally different. Try to find products that will enhance what you are already inclined to do, but would like to do in a more efficient way. For example, I love fresh squeezed juice, but I usually find it easier to buy a concentrate and just add water. However, when I started to use a citrus press, it made the job of squeezing fruits easier and led me back to a more authentic taste with less sugar because it is easy to use and easy to clean.



Do not overlook the social aspects of food. As a seasoned demonstrator who has worked on a variety of machines, I have a kinship with the people who demonstrate the Vitamix and other gadgets. For example, many of the customers I have demonstrated espresso machines to go to coffeeshops almost daily. They are likely spending thousands of dollars a year on lattes, espressos and cappucinos and could practically buy more than one of my machines if they really took a hard look at their finances. However, what I have to remind myself is that for some people, buying that cup of coffee is about more than just ingesting it, some people like to go to the coffee shop and have someone take their order, others go to socialize and network or to take a break from a stressful day. Personally, I want to be able to replicate what I can get at a shop or restaurant at home because I like for things to taste a certain way and I am concerned about quality. So if you find yourself in the same boat as me, save up a few dollars a week and treat yourself with a premium machine so that your culinary experiences will be seamless.



Make a budget and stick to it. Over the past few years I have dedicated a good amount of my disposible income to buying things for my kitchen, but I view it as part vocation and part avocation and an investment in my personal happiness. Each year I make a list of things I would like to purchase by category and get what makes the most sense while being on the lookout for sales and coupons especially for high priced items. I also try to give things away or sell used items that I no longer use. I also start small knowing that I can always upgrade later a great example being the knife set I featured in my previous Q&A.

Seek out demonstrations where you can view the products live. Years ago I used to pass up demonstrations while in stores, but when I started to do the work myself I realized just how beneficial they are in helping me to make wise decisions. By simply visiting most product websites, you can find information on locations, dates and times of live demonstrations. You should never be afraid to ask the demonstrator questions, if they are knowledgeable about their products they should be able to answer intelligently. Ask if you can try to the use the machine yourself on the spot, if you find that it is difficult to use, or that it requires too many steps, or better yet if the demonstrator is reluctant to let you do so, that may be a sign that it is not the right product for you. Downloading instruction manuals is also a great way to get a feel for a product before you buy it as well.



Pay attention to the warranty and shelf life. Most machines are vigorously tested to determine how often consumers will use them and to account for wear and tear. You should look into at least two things when investing in housewares, the first is the warranty. How long do you have protection should the machine break on you? Are you willing to take the time to learn how to use it properly? How about storage? The second issue is the shelf life. Durable goods no longer mean that something is going to last you for 30 years or more, instead most small electrics will probably give you a good 5-10 years before something conks out whether it be a finish, a part, or a motor for example. Most reputable companies provide at least a one year warranty on their products and some even extend them to two years or more. Seek out companies that do not give you hassle if you try to return something under warranty because it signals that they stand behind their products and they want you to be a loyal customer.

Do you have a question for us? E-mail cooklikejackie@gmail.com.